Our Group has a number of important functions.
- We work as a voice for our cities, maintaining a constructive and open dialogue with Government, MP’s, national agencies and business representatives, to create the right policy environment for our cities to thrive;
- We publish and promote agenda setting research and influential ideas on economic policy affecting our cities;
- We work collaboratively, bringing the cities together to share and explore ideas and best practice, driving improvement and efficiency.
Throughout its existence Core Cities have influenced Government and other’s policy and thinking, working to ensure aspiration matches delivery.
Perhaps the biggest change the Group has helped bring about is a shift in perspective from seeing cities as problems to seeing them as solutions on a number of issues such as the economy, sustainability and social cohesion.
- We developed and put into practice early ideas for working across functioning economic areas: City Region Partnerships; Multi Area Agreements; and now Local Enterprise Partnerships.
- We have developed detailed work on important new investment tools that will drive jobs and growth – like Tax Increment Financing – and worked to get them adopted by Government.
- We have influenced policy and legislation across a broad area, from transport to economic growth, innovation and skills to accounting regulations.
- We also work together on delivery, on programmes like RE:FIT together with London, procuring efficient and low cost solutions to reducing carbon emissions from public buildings.
Please click on the links below to find out more about the different aspects of our work.